Hey Beauty Lovers,
One popular feature on this blog that has not been reprised is our “Ask the Esthetician” Feature. But don’t worry, we’re back!!
Send all your skincare questions to myHairmyBeauty(at)yahoo.com, with the subject heading “SKIN”
Here are some of your pressing skincare questions answered by our inhouse skincare therapist.
I have Oily Skin and have been having acne and blackspot for sometimes now, Please what can I use?
The most important thing is to understand why you are having these spots.
- Have you changed your skincare regimen lately?
- Are you eating more dairy products?
- Is your water “strong”?
- Are you having these acne during your time of the month?
- Have you changed your environment?
- Are you wearing more makeup?
These are some of the reasons why you could be experiencing more breakouts than normal. Now if you are having acne and dealing with post acne marks, it is important that you use products with chemical exfoliants like Glycolic and Salicylic acid. Why? Glycolic acid works to fade marks and exfoliate the top layer of the skin, while salicylic acid penetrates oily skin to deeply cleanse pores. In combination these two products are powerful in exfoliating and reducing pigmentation over time.
You can find products with glycolic acid/salicylic acid as a cleanser or toner. For example, you can use Neutrogena acne wash as a facial cleanser and tone with Image Skincare Toner. Always pair exfoliation with Sunscreen, so after cleansing and toning with these products you can use a moisturizer with an spf.
Recently I started experiencing irritating rashes on my face and it itches, what can I do?
Have you always experienced rashes? could this rash be as a result of a skin irritation after trying a new product? One of my favourite things to do when my skin is inflamed or irritated, is to apply raw or manuka honey on it for 1hr everyday. It is really important to be gentle to inflamed or irritated skin.
- Stop any foaming or harsh cleansers, even natural cleansers like Black soap might be too much for an inflamed skin. I’d highly recommend a gentle cleanser like Cetaphil.
- Don’t scrub or exfoliate, instead try a soothing calming oatmeal masque.
- Finely ground/blend 1/4 cup of oats (think quaker oat) until it becomes like fine powder
- add 1 teaspoon of honey and 2 tablespoons of cold water.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and apply to face and neck, let the mask set on skin for 20 minutes, then rinse gently with warm water. Make sure mask is cold before you apply it on your face, you can refrigerate it for an hour before use, if you’d like
- Moisturize with a gentle moisturizer like Aveeno for babies if you are not acne prone.
If irritation persists, be sure to see a dermatologist or purchase 1% hydrocortisone cream.
What is the difference between lotion and Cream? which one is best suited for Oily skin?
In terms of texture, lotion is more lightweight than Creams. Creams are composed of heavy emollients and are designed for very DRY skin, while gels and light lotions are designed for oily and combination skin.