Hey Ladies, as you know we have a section of this blog called Ask an Esthetician, and below is recent question we received. Remember if you have any Skincare questions or concerns email us with myHairmyBeauty(at)yahoo.com.
Q: “I have really big unsightly cellulite and stretchmarks on my thighs, arms and buttocks. I am very uncomfortable about them and would like to know if there’s a procedure or Cream I can use to remove them” – Titi, Ibadan.
Answer: There are a million anti-cellulite creams out there, even beauticians promising magical potions to remove stretch marks and cellulite, but according to findings by dermatologist there is nothing clinically proven to eradicate this condition. Ladies, save your money, there is NO miracle cream.
Cellulite is when pockets of fat collect below the surface of the skin. Titi, no need to feel alone because according to Wikipedia, Cellulite is thought to occur in 80-90% of postpubertal females. While hormones, poor diet and lack of exercise can help worsen the appearance of cellulite, sorry ladies Cellulite cannot be cured.
The only known procedure to effectively reduce the appearance is Vasersmooth, which is an ultrasound based treatment performed with Liposuction. Unfortunately this procedure is not currently available in Nigeria, however there are things that can be done to MINIMIZE the appearance of cellulite. Here are the top 5 tips.
1. Drink more water. Water helps to eliminating bloating and flush out toxins and excess salt that cause bloating.
2. Change your diet- avoid too much salt and sugar. Eating a healthy diet, can help you reduce cellulite. Increase your intake of water rich foods. Fruits like watermelon, mangoes, and paw paw, have antioxidants that prevent tissue damage, which minimize the appearance of cellulite
3. Exercise- get moving! increase your cardio, run/jog/walk /dance. Also include strength training moves like lunges and squats to tighten the regions most susceptible to cellulite.
4. Apply Caffeine – Massage your thighs with coffee beans will help break up the fat deposits underneath, improve circulation and help minimize the appearance of dimples.
5. Apply Retinol Cream– According to Dr. Oz, Retinol is a form of vitamin A that reduces the presence of free radicals responsible for the breakdown of collagen. Retinol helps maintain skin smoothness and makes cellulite bulges less visible.