Remember before you start any self medication for Eczema, you need to get a proper diagnoses from a dermatologist. Below are 10 tips on dealing with Eczema flare ups when they happen.
1. Eczema is exacerbated by dry skin, be sure to find a rich moisturizer and use it daily.
2. Topical Cortisone is a popular treatment for eczema, be sure to get a doctor’s approval.
3. When the Eczema flares up, do NOT scratch it, doing so will lead to secondary infection.
4. Since Eczema is a sign of skin senstivity, be sure to avoid “harsh” products with heavy fragrances, steer clear of heavily scented cleanser, moisturizers, sometimes even perfumes can trigger this. Opt for natural oils, Vanilla Almond, etc
5. Cleanse with a mild cleanser, some people swear by Dudu Osun, let us know what works for you (myHairmyBeauty@yahoo.com)
6. Reduce your shower time, use warm not HOT water, no HARD water or salt water as well
7. Lock in moisture immediately after showering by moisturizing, a great tip is using coconut oil while skin is wet. Then using your favorite mild moisturizer
8. When experiencing itchiness, calm it down with cold water or milk.
9. Heal from the inside: studies suggest that drinking black, green, or oolong tea may help relieve eczema symptoms. Also be sure to have a diet rich in Omega-3 fatty acids found in fish and fish oil, which help fight inflammation.
10. Avoid ALLERGENS as much as you can, see our post below to know the list of triggers including eggs for little kids, wood, lanolin and strong soaps and detergents.
For questions on our articles, email us (myHairmyBeauty@yahoo.com)